Are you an events organiser hoping to arrange an author or illustrator event/appearance?
Many of our authors and illustrators regularly visit schools, festivals, bookshops and children’s book groups/clubs to share their passion for reading, writing and illustration. Each of our authors/illustrators have their own styles and specialties — whether you’re looking for a storyteller for six year olds, an author to lead a World War One project in primary school or a creative writing tutor for young teens — we can help advise you on the most suitable person for your needs.
What sort of events do your authors and illustrators do?
The event varies according to the author/illustrator and the book, but previous events have included:
- School visits for all ages for groups from one class to 400 children
- Creating writing tutorials (usually in smaller groups) for all ages
- Incorporating storytelling, music, song and illustration in events
- Events based on individual books, the author’s entire catalogue or specific subjects (World War One, Vikings etc)
- Book signings and readings
Do you offer free author/illustrator events?
Payment for author/illustrator events is at the discretion of the individual author/illustrator. However, events are a lot of work for authors/illustrators and so a reasonable fee and travel expenses (if required) is usually expected. Don’t hesitate to contact us to ask about the availability of a particular author/illustrator.
Live Literature: How to make it work for you
Events in Scotland can be subsidised by Scottish Book Trust’s Live Literature scheme. Using this scheme, you can get funding to pay the author fee. Please feel free to contact us if you need help completing your application!
You can also download our adaptation of Scottish Book Trust’s application guidelines, specifically tailored for schools:
How do I find the best person for my event?
As a starting point, browse our website to familiarise yourself with our books, authors and illustrators. Use these top tips to find the person best suited to your needs:
- Use the Find A Kelpie search to discover authors/illustrators working with different age groups, in different genres or with particular topics.
- Some book pages have an Events Sheet which outlines of the sort of events that the author/illustrator does for that particular book.
- Each author/illustrator page has a link to their page on Scottish Book Trust’s Live Literature Author database (if they’re registered) which shows their event availability. Visits arranged through Live Literature can be part-funded.
Alternatively email email@example.com with your requirements and we’ll be happy to advise you.