Become a Kelpies author or illustrator
Thank you for considering publication with us! We are a small team, publishing very specific types of books. We can only read and respond to submissions that meet our guidelines, outlined below.
If you are resident in Scotland and writing or illustrating for children please consider entering our Kelpies Prizes. We’ve had a short pause due to the pandemic, but the prizes will reopen for entries soon.
We have reluctantly decided to close our general submissions for children’s books, which means we won’t be able to read or reply to your proposal, unless:
- we have invited you to submit your work
- you are a literary agent
- you are an international publisher
Some useful organisations
If you’re looking for advice on writing or illustrating for children, we would highly recommend that you explore some of these organisations, which all have strong links with the publishing world:
- Publishing Scotland has an excellent page of advice for writers interested in publication, with links to lots of useful organisations.
- Scottish Book Trust is a wonderful charity that supports reading and writing in Scotland, and offers lots of opportunities for writers.
- The Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators has regional groups and welcomes creatives, both published and yet-to-be published.
- The Scottish BAME Writers Network provides advocacy, literary events and professional development opportunities for BAME writers based in or from Scotland.
- You can find a comprehensive list of UK agents in the Writers’ and Artists’ Yearbook, which is available in most libraries, bookshops and online. We are introduced to lots of new writers and illustrators by agents, who can offer valuable advice and representation.