Become a Kelpies author or illustrator
Thank you for considering publication with us! Please take a look at our website to get a sense of the kinds of books we publish. For example, we don’t publish adult fiction, autobiographies or poetry. Our Kelpies publishing programmes follows specific guidelines, outlined below.
Kelpies Scottish Children’s Books
We do not accept unsolicited proposals for our Kelpies imprint, except from authors and illustrators from communities that are under-represented in children’s book publishing. If this is you, please see Reflecting diverse communities below.
If you’d like to write or illustrate children’s books for our Kelpies (Scottish) imprint and you’re based in Scotland, please enter our annual Kelpies Prize for authors or Kelpies Illustration Prize for illustrators. These prizes aim to discover emerging children’s writers and illustrators across all areas of our Kelpies publishing, from picture books to teen novels and everything in between.
We welcome submissions from literary agents for our Kelpies imprint. If you’re an agent with a question about the suitability of a manuscript or illustration style, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reflecting Diverse Communities
We believe that our publishing should better represent the diverse communities we live in. We are therefore actively seeking authors and illustrators whose perspectives are under-represented in book publishing, including but not limited to those:
- who identify as black, Asian or an ethnic minority (including white immigrant communities, such as Polish)
- from socio-economically disadvantaged communities
- with disabilities
- who identify as LGBTQ+
If you’re based in Scotland and your work is for children, please consider entering the Kelpies Prize or the Kelpies Illustration Prize. Alternatively, follow the guidelines in the How to submit your work section below. Please mention the perspective you speak from in your biography.
Note that if your work does not fall into any of the categories we publish, we do not have the resources to reply to your submission.
How to Submit
Author submissions should include:
- 1. A brief synopsis
- 2. The first three chapters of your book, or equivalent (e.g. a complete picture book text)
- 3. A brief biography
- 1. A link to your online portfolio
- 2. A brief biography
How to send it!
- Please submit your work via our online form or by post to Floris Books (see Contact Us). We don’t accept email submissions. Please note that you will need a Google account in order to submit online. If you don’t have one, you can easily set one up for free.
- If you would like us to return your submission, please include a stamped-addressed envelope of the appropriate value. If no return postage is enclosed, we can’t return it.
- Please allow at least three months for a response. If you haven’t heard from us after this time you can email email@example.com with your name and the title of your submission.
- Please note: We do not accept unsolicited proposals for our Kelpies imprint, except for those by authors and illustrators representing diverse communities. All authors and illustrators based in Scotland are encouraged to enter our Kelpies Prize or Kelpies Illustration Prize.
- If your submission doesn’t meet our guidelines, we do not have the resource to acknowledge it or reply to you — apologies.